Do you ever find yourself looking at a website or app and think, “that doesn’t make sense!” or “why do I need to click that to get where I want?”
Our User Designers are crucial to our projects, playing a key role in defining how each user interacts with our products and services, and that every step through every page makes sense.
We have an excellent opportunity for a Graduate User Designer to join us. Working within our talented User Design Team, you will help to deliver actionable user insights that help define and focus the service experience on user needs. The Trainee Designer helps deliver an intuitive user interface by focusing on user needs and making use of recognised design guidelines and best practice.
What you’ll do
- You’ll work closely with designers and developers to turn user insights into actionable design or service recommendations, either in our office or on customer sites, playing a key role as part of a multi-disciplined agile team to design user focused and successful services
- You’ll produce deliverables appropriate to the needs of the project and their users with regards to user experience, visual design, usability and accessibility
- You’ll assist in reviewing user interfaces and suggest recommendations for improvements
- You will contribute to the usability testing process from helping develop user recruitment briefs through to test moderation / shadowing, analysis and report writing
- You will work as part of a team to communicate with a wide range of digital delivery disciplines and talent
Who you are
- You are a final year student or recent graduate in Interaction Design, Product Design, Graphic Design, HCI/Usability, Cognitive Psychology, Market Research or related field
- You have demonstrable interest in user-centered design, design research, and service design and able to show an understanding of fundamental design concepts: such astypography, visual hierarchy, colour and texture
- You are familiar with some programming languages and implementation environments, and have some understanding of the software development lifecycle from your studies or relevant work experience, and the relevance of different tools at different stages of the development lifecycles
- You’re aware of basic design principles, and able to understand designs, and have the creativity to solve design problems
- You have a good understanding of coding and data structure principles, and application of coding standards
- You have a good understanding of unit testing principles, including the creation of unit test harnesses. You have some understanding of Agile methodology
- You are curious about all things tech, and have your own personal interest technology projects would be a great advantageWe are a customer focused business, so people with strong communication skills, who are professional, credible and open is a mustWe pride ourselves in doing our best and delivering to a high standard, so attention to detail and having a high quality focus is definitely required.
- You’ll have a flexible, "can do" attitude, with the ability to manage your own time and enthusiastic to learn
What you’ll get
We’ve built a truly creative, stimulating and rewarding work environment at Kainos. You’ll plot out your own career path, with access to bespoke training through our MAP training academy. You’ll be surrounded by people looking to learn and grow while mentoring and developing those around them.
Through MAP, we'll ensure you can attend some of our specialised courses in conjunction with universities and external training providers, and we will give you the time to drive your own development. You’ll be challenged, and you’ll be given the autonomy to meet those challenges.
Travelling will be required (potentially 3-4 nights a week away from your home base.) Full expenses and travel allowance will be paid. You’ll gain invaluable hands on project experience in a fast paced environment, developing your skills and your confidence to help you kick start your career.
Who we are
What we do is mind-blowing: we use cutting-edge digital technology to change the way the world works. Our vision is to enable outstanding people to create digital solutions that have a positive impact on people’s lives.
Kainos is a high-growth IT services company providing digital technology solutions and agile software development to enterprise customers. Across our 30-year history, we have worked on transformational projects across government, NHS and a myriad of private sector clients.