Responsible for designing and leading the successful implementation of quality technical solutions which are fit for purpose, understanding commercial constraints and ensuring that all technology decisions satisfy both commercial and technical success criteria. Will be comfortable in liaising with clients and representing the technical face of Kainos externally. Provides strong technical leadership within Kainos, advises on technology issues at all levels, and identifies and advocates ways to improve Kainos effectiveness in solution design and implementation. Leads clients and delivery teams to define and evolve overall solution concepts and architectures. Continuously and safely innovates, ensuring that Kainos’ and client’s capabilities are enhanced. Devises and costs significant solutions from scratch. Responsible for defining and governing technical direction and strategy both within Kainos and throughout project teams. Maintains a current knowledge of technology, disseminates this knowledge at all levels, and seeks opportunities to deploy new technologies to the benefit of Kainos and its customers.
Essential Experience and Capabilities:
- Highly capable, hands-on, Agile technology leader.
- A superb programmer, without necessarily writing code day-to-day.
- Can lead and estimation activities and ensure that the team delivers to them.
- Experience of technically leading a full solution, making all the significant decisions that affect technology choices and solution approach.
- Capable of providing technical thought leadership and guidance to clients.
- Experienced at leading large Agile projects and helping non-agile organisations adopt Agile successfully.
- Leads standard-setting and architecture. Ensures successful evolution and adherence to these within project.
- Able to devise and cost viable, winning solutions for sales proposals.
- A thought leader, who can provide advice and guidance to clients and who is able to manage relationships with clients and 3rd party suppliers.
- Excellent understanding of solutions deployment and operation as well as functionality.
- Excellent communicator, able to explain, persuade and justify decisions and concepts to people at all levels.
- Detailed understanding of software development tools, design methodologies and best practice.
- Excellence in three or more architectures and/or technologies having successfully applied them in a commercial environment.
- Breadth of knowledge across the Kainos areas of operation.
- Competent in security, performance tuning, capacity planning, resilience and availability across heterogeneous architectures.
- Ability to motivate and inspire technical staff.
- Ability to work to tight deadlines.
- Ability to balance project demands with those of the wider organisation.
- Strong ability to make sensible decisions under pressure taking a balanced view of technical and commercial demands.
Desirable Experience and Capabilities:
- Ability to drive Agile transformation in organisations.
- Strong skills in the latest technologies.
- Well-known in the industry and participates in community activity, for example, speaking at conferences or contributing to open source projects.
- Has spent significant time working away from home base and/or on a client site.
- Constructive, professional, credible and can communicate effectively with clients and colleagues.
- Excellent at managing personal time and priorities.
- Excellent interpersonal and negotiating skills.
- Creative, articulate, enthusiastic, responsible, logical, and thorough.
- A good team player capable of delivering results in less than perfect circumstances.
- Pragmatic, tolerant of ambiguity, willing to backtrack and seek multiple solutions.
- Capable of working at an abstract level.
- Mature, non-confrontational style.
- Quality focused.
- An effective mentor and teacher.
- Highly flexible (including willingness to work away from home base).
- Visionary and entrepreneurial, with a positive "can do" attitude towards addressing the technical challenges facing Kainos and clients.