Microsoft Ignite - UK Tour
Microsoft Ignite - UK Tour
I recently attend the Microsoft Ignite UK Tour, which was a two day event in the London Excel arena. An event focused on Microsoft's Azure and Office 365 offerings, consisting of 100+ deep-dive sessions and workshops along with 350+ experts!
- Deploying your application faster and safer
- Protecting Apps and data on Azure
- Selecting the right data storage strategy for your cloud application
- Leveraging automation to power Microsoft Threat Protection
- Investing in Serverless: less servers, more code
- Integrated SecOps and incident response with Microsoft Threat Protection
- Hosting and scaling service-based applications on Azure
- Diagnosing failure in the Cloud
A vast range of talks attending covering numerous areas of Microsoft Azure, I will summarise into some sections
DevOps what is it?
My first talk included this question in the presentation, what really is DevOps?
- A job title?
- Combination of Developers and Ops?
- Does it mean the ability to develop faster?
- Less human error?
Yes to all this!
DevOps is a combination of all of the above allowing the increase of velocity, ability to reduce downtime and human error. Combining all this into the projects growth from design through to development and further will lead to a better lifecycle of the product.
Statististics to reflect the use of DevOps:-
- 46x development frequency
- Faster time to market
- 7x lower change failure rate
- 2,555x faster lead time for changes
- Increased revenue
- 2,604x faster mean time to recover
Source: 2018 Accelerate: State of DevOps: Strategies for a New Economy.' N. Forsgren, J. Humble, G. Kim. DevOps Research and Assessment (DORA)
DevOps is the union of people, process, and products to enable continuous delivery of value to our end users.Donovan Brown Microsoft
Using Azure DevOps to assist you, a great service offered by Microsoft to build workflows and pipelines to deploy your applications.
'Plan smarter, collaborate better and ship faster with a set of modern dev services.'Azure DevOps
Azure DevOps has numerous tools to assist you
- Azure Pipelines:- Build, test and deploy CI/CD
- Azure Repos Get unlimited cloud-hosted private Git repos
- Azure Boards Deliver value to users faster using proven agile tools
Nearly everything you want to deploy will consist of sort of storage, have you a storage strategy for this? Reasons to implement a strategy
- Allowing better pace for new products and features
- Maintain security and strategy posture
- Increase system performance
- Decrease costings on data storage
There are numerous storage services available on Azure including:
Disks Managed disks or VHDs in a Storage Account, choices of standard HDD, premium SSD etc
Files Azure Files is an offering that allows the configuration of SMB File Share Managed by Azure
Blobs Scalable, rest based cloud object storage
Tables Ability to auto-scale, NoSQL store, very inexpensive!
Queues Created at scale for Cloud Services
How do you chose a data storage method?
You need to decide on a number of factors including
Kind of data?
Properties of data?